Thursday 10 August 2017

The Accidental Invention of the Illuminati Conspiracy

Building columns and dollar bills (Credit: Alamy)
The story of how the myth exploded reveals how fake stories spread today and the secrets behind the psychology of their fiercest proponents. 

It’s the conspiracy theory to dwarf all conspiracy theories. A smorgasbord of every other intrigue under the sun, the Illuminati are the supposed overlords controlling the world’s affairs, operating secretly as they seek to establish a New World Order.

But this far-fetched paranoia all started with a playful work of fiction in the 1960s. What does this tell us about our readiness to believe what we read and hear – and what can the Illuminati myth reveal about the fake news and stories we continue to be influenced by today?





When most people try to look into the secret society’s history, they find themselves in Germany with the Enlightenment-era Order of the Illuminati. It was a Bavarian secret society, founded in 1776, for intellectuals to privately group together and oppose the religious and elitist influence over daily life. It included several well-known progressives at the time but, along with the Freemasons, they found themselves gradually outlawed by conservative and Christian critics and the group faded out of existence.
Still from Angels and Demons film (Credit: Alamy)
Films like Angels and Demons have brought the concept of the Illuminati into popular consciousness (Credit: Alamy)

That is, until the 1960s. The Illuminati that we’ve come to hear about today is hardly influenced by the Bavarians at all, as I learned from author and broadcaster David Bramwell, a man who has dedicated himself to documenting the origins of the myth. Instead, an era of counter-culture mania, LSD and interest in Eastern philosophy is largely responsible for the group’s (totally unsubstantiated) modern incarnation. It all began somewhere amid the Summer of Love and the hippie phenomenon, when a small, printed text emerged: Principia Discordia. 

The book was, in a nutshell, a parody text for a parody faith – Discordianism – conjured up by enthusiastic anarchists and thinkers to bid its readers to worship Eris, goddess of chaos. The Discordian movement was ultimately a collective that wished to cause civil disobedience, practical jokes and hoaxes

The text itself never amounted to anything more than a counter-culture curiosity, but one of the tenets of the faith – that such miscreant activities could bring about social change and force individuals to question the parameters of reality – was immortalised by one writer, Robert Anton Wilson.

According to Bramwell, Wilson and one of the authors of the Principia Discordia, Kerry Thornley, “decided that the world was becoming too authoritarian, too tight, too closed, too controlled”. They wanted to bring chaos back into society to shake things up, and “the way to do that was to spread disinformation. To disseminate misinformation through all portals – through counter culture, through the mainstream media, through whatever means. And they decided they would do that initially by telling stories about the Illuminati.”

At the time, Wilson worked for the men’s magazine Playboy. He and Thornley started sending in fake letters from readers talking about this secret, elite organisation called the Illuminati. Then they would send in more letters – to contradict the letters they had just written. 


Jay-Z (Credit: Alamy)
Jay Z is one famous hip hop star to raise their hands into the alleged Illuminati triangle symbol at concerts (Credit: Alamy)

“So, the concept behind this was that if you give enough contrary points of view on a story, in theory – idealistically – the population at large start looking at these things and think, ‘hang on a minute’,” says Bramwell.  “They ask themselves, ‘Can I trust how the information is presented to me?’ It’s an idealistic means of getting people to wake up to the suggested realities that they inhabit – which of course didn’t happen quite in the way they were hoping.”

The chaos of the Illuminati myth did indeed travel far and wide – Wilson and another Playboy writer wrote The Illuminatus! Trilogy which attributed the ‘cover-ups’ of our times – such as who shot John F Kennedy – to the Illuminati. The books became such a surprise cult success that they were made into a stage play in Liverpool, launching the careers of British actors Bill Nighy and Jim Broadbent.

British electronic band The KLF also called themselves The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, named after the band of Discordians that infiltrate the Illuminati in Wilson’s trilogy as they were inspired by the religion’s anarchic ideology. Then, an Illuminati role-playing card game appeared in 1975 which imprinted its mystical world of secret societies onto a whole generation.

Today, it’s one of the world’s most widely punted conspiracy theories; even celebrities like Jay-Z and BeyoncĂ© have taken on the symbolism of the group themselves, raising their hands into the Illuminati triangle at concerts. It’s hardly instigated the mind-blowing epiphany – the realisation that it’s all fake – which the proponents of Discordianism had originally intended.

The 60s culture of mini-publishers and zines seems terrifically distant now from today’s globalised, hyper-connected internet, and it has undeniably been the internet’s propensity to share and propagate Illuminati rumours on websites like 4chan and Reddit that has brought the idea the fame it has today.

But we live in a world that is full of conspiracy theories and, more importantly, conspiracy theory believers; in 2015, political scientists discovered that about half of the general public in the USA endorse at least one conspiracy theory. These include anything from the Illuminati to the Obama ‘birther’ conspiracy, or the widely held belief that 9/11 was an inside job carried out by US intelligence services.

US dollar bill (Credit: Alamy)
Conspiracy theorists believe signs on the US dollar bill point to Illuminati influence (Credit: Alamy)

“There’s no one profile of a conspiracy theorist,” says Viren Swami, professor of social psychology at Anglia Ruskin University. “There are different perspectives of why people believe in these theories, and they’re not necessarily mutually exclusive – so the simplest form of explanation is that people who believe in conspiracy theories are suffering from some sort of psychopathology.”

Another conclusion researchers have drawn to is that these theories could provide rational ways of understanding events that are confusing or threatening to self esteem. “They give you a very simple explanation,” adds Swami, who published research in 2016 that found believers in conspiracy theories are more likely to be suffering from stressful experiences than non-believers. Other psychologists also discovered last year that people with higher levels of education are less likely to believe in conspiracy theories.

The picture that this paints of modern America is a dark one, especially for Swami who has seen a change in who normally promotes conspiracy material. “Particularly in South Asia, conspiracy theories have been a mechanism for the government to control the people. In the West, it’s typically been the opposite; they’ve been the subject of people who lack agency, who lack power, and it’s their lacking of power that gives rise to conspiracy theories to challenge the government. Like with 9/11. If people lack power, conspiracy theories can sow the seeds of social protest and allow people to ask questions.

“The big change now is that politicians, particularly Donald Trump, are starting to use conspiracies to mobilise support.”

The 45th President of the United States was a notorious “birther”, regularly speaking to the media about how President Obama wasn’t really born in Hawaii. He also accused various US states of voter fraud after the 2016 election and his campaign team were responsible for propagating now debunked fabricated stories such as Pizzagate and the Bowling Green Massacre.  

I asked Swami if he thought that this shift in conspiracy theory usage could affect politics long term. “People could become disengaged with mainstream politics if they believe in conspiracy theories,” said Swami. “They’re much more likely to engage with fringe politics. They’re also much more likely to engage with racist, xenophobic and extremist views.”

US President Donald Trump (Credit: Alamy)
US President Donald Trump has brought conspiracy theories into the political mainstream (Credit: Alamy)

The idea of an untouchable, secretive elite must resonate with people that feel left behind and powerless; Trump said he wanted to represent these people, especially the once-powerful industrial landscape of America’s Rust Belt. Yet instead of feeling better represented in the halls of power by a non-politician like themselves – and theoretically being less likely to feel powerless and vulnerable to conspiracies – it seems like some in America are more likely to believe in stories like the Illuminati more than ever before.

“If Wilson was alive today, he’d be part delighted, part shocked”, says David Bramwell. “As far as they thought in the 60s, culture was a little too tight. At present, it feels like things are loose. They’re unravelling.

“Perhaps more stability will come as people fight against ‘fake news’ and propaganda. We’re starting to understand how social media is feeding us ideas we want to believe. Echo chambers.”

Between internet forums, nods in popular culture and humankind’s generally uninhibited capacity for imagination, today’s truth-finders and fact checkers might debunk the Illuminati myth for good.



Source: BBCNews


7 comments:

  1. i want to share my testimony of how i become rich and famous today… i was deeply strangled up by poverty and i had no body to help me, and also i search for help from different corners but to no avail… i see people around me getting rich but to me i was so ashamed of my self so i met a man on my way he was very rich and he was a doctor so he told me something and i think over it though out the day so the next day i looked up and i keep repeating what he said to me. ” if you want to get rich quick and be famous” you need to cross your heart and do what is in your mind so i tried all i could in other for me to do as he said so later on i told my fellow friend about this same thing then my friend was interested in my suggestions so i decided to look in the internet and i found their number so we decided to contact them and unfortunately we did as they instruct us to do and later they told us to get some requirements and all the rest… so this initiation took us just a week and later on the great fraternity gave us $1,200,000 to start up our lives…. and now am testifying that if in any case you want to join any great fraternity all you need to do is for you to contact them because they are legitimate and they do as what they instructed them to do, so you can as well WhatsApp me +2348123233895 or you can email:jameswillian004@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO everyone i am here to share my testimony on how i became a member of the illuminati, all thanks to MR CARLOS who changed my life for good , through the great illuminati, for the past 8 years i have been trying to join the great illu minati but no success, i have always met false people who took my money without help, until i found MR CARLOS, at first i thought he was not real we talked but i doubted, then he encourage me not to give up on my second thought i never believed but after all i went ahead to proceed with him to see what will happen, then after i was so suprised that i was called for my initiation, after 48 hours i got my benefits , i was speechless all i want to say is a very big thank you to MR CARLOS , i am very happy today cause i am now a complete member of the great illuminati and i have successfully recieved my benefits and living fine here in ukraine, all thanks to MR CARLOS you can contact him on whatapp : +1(623)2005107
    BENEFIT GIVEN TO A NEW MEMBER WHO JOIN THE ILLUMINATI a cash reward of usd $500,000.00USD a new sleek dream car valued at USD $3.5,000USD a dream house build in any country of your own choice one month holiday (fully paid) to your dream tourist destination. One year golf membership package a V I P treatment in all airports in the world a total lifestyle change access to bohemian grove monthly payment of $5,000,00USD into your bank account every month as a member, one month booked appointment with top 5 world leaders and top 5 celebrities in the world» JOIN ILLUMINATI YOUR FINANCIALDIFFICULTIES ARE BROUGHT TO AN END. for those stuggling out there to become members of the illuminati kindly contact MR CARLOS on whatapp: +1(623)2005107 or kindly contact our email : illuminatibrotherhood180@gmail.com

    NOTE;you should be loyal to him

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to brotherhood Illuminati where you can become
    rich famous and popular and your life story we be change
    totally my name is james william I am here to share my
    testimony on how I join the great brotherhood Illuminati
    and my life story was change immediately . I was very poor
    no job and I has no money to even feed and take care of my
    family I was confuse in life I don’t know what to do I try all
    my possible best to get money but no one work out for me
    each day I share tears, I was just looking out my family no
    money to take care of them until one day I decided to join
    the great Illuminati , I come across them in the internet I
    never believe I said let me try I email them.all what they
    said we happen in my life just started it was like a dream to
    me they really change my story totally . They give me the
    sum of $1,200,000 and many thing. through the Illuminati I
    was able to become rich, and have many industry on my
    own and become famous and popular in my country , today
    me and my family is living happily and I am the most
    happiest man here is the opportunity for you to join the
    Illuminati and become rich and famous in life and be like
    other people and you life we be change totally.If you are
    interested in joining the great brotherhood Illuminati.then
    contact him on whatsapp +2348123233895 or you can email:jameswillian004@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone I am Mr Smith Benson from USA, I am giving a testimony on how I joined the illuminati brotherhood, I was trying to join this organization for so many years now,I was scammed by fake agent in south Africa and Nigeria,I was down,I could not feed my self and my family anymore and I tried to make money by all miss but all avail, I was afraid to contact any Illuminati agent because they have eat my money. One day I across a post of someone giving a testimony, thanking a man called Paul mark of being helping him to join the illuminati brotherhood, then I look at the man email and the phone number that was written there, it was a Nigeria number I was afraid to contact him because a Nigeria agent eat my $5,000 and go away with the money then I was very tired, confused and I decided to contact the person that was given the testimony and i called him and I communicated with him on phone calls before he started telling me his own story about when he wanted to join, he told me everything to do, then I made up my mind and called the agent called Paul mark and he told me everything to do, and I was initiated, surprisingly I was given my benefit of being a new member of the great illuminati brotherhood I was so happy,For those of you trying to join this organization this is your opportunity for you to join CONTACT MR PAUL MARK call (+2348163028633 or WhatsApp him +2348163028633 or email: illuminatiworldoffamous@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to illuminati brotherhood where you can become rich famous and popular and your life story we be change totally. my name is Carlos I am here to share my testimony on how I join the great brotherhood Illuminati and my life story was change immediately . I was very poor no job and I has no money to even feed and take care of my family I was confuse in life I don’t know what to do I try all my possible best to get money but no one work out for me each day I share tears, I was just looking out my family no money to take care of them until one day I decided to join the great Illuminati , I come across them in the internet I never believe I said let me try I email them.all what they said we happen in my life just started it was like a dream to me they really change my story totally . They give me the sum of $1,000,000 and many thing. through the Illuminati I was able to become rich, and have many industry on my own and become famous and popular in my country, today me and my family is living happily and I am the most happiest man here is the opportunity for you to join the Illuminati and become rich and famous in life and be like other people and your life we be change totally. If you are interested in joining the great brotherhood Illuminati contact this number call whatsspa +2347051758952 or morganiilluminatirich@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you a man or woman business man or business woman or an
    artist,Politicians
    and you want to become big, Powerful and
    famous in the world, join us to become
    one of our official member today in the
    great Illuminati. you shall be given an ideal chance to visit the Illuminati and his
    representative after registrations is
    completed by you, no sacrifice or human
    life needed, Illuminati brotherhood brings
    along wealth and famous in life, you have
    a full access to eradicate poverty away
    from your life now. it only a member who
    is been initiated into the church of
    Illuminati have the authority to bring any
    member to the church, so before you
    contact any body you must be link by who
    is already a member, Join us today and
    realize your dreams. we also help out our
    member in protection of drugs pushing
    email:
    famousilluminatilord@gmail.com or illuminatifamousclub@outlook.com contact
    +2348065283683 you will be rich and
    famous for the rest of your life and your
    family and any body close to you,
    Illuminati make there member happy so i
    will want you all to also be a new member
    of the Illuminati if you are interested,
    urgently reply us back now, we are ready
    to make you a member of the Illuminati..what's app +2348065283683

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you a man or woman business man or business woman or an
    artist,Politicians
    and you want to become big, Powerful and
    famous in the world, join us to become
    one of our official member today in the
    great Illuminati. you shall be given an ideal chance to visit the Illuminati and his
    representative after registrations is
    completed by you, no sacrifice or human
    life needed, Illuminati brotherhood brings
    along wealth and famous in life, you have
    a full access to eradicate poverty away
    from your life now. it only a member who
    is been initiated into the church of
    Illuminati have the authority to bring any
    member to the church, so before you
    contact any body you must be link by who
    is already a member, Join us today and
    realize your dreams. we also help out our
    member in protection of drugs pushing
    email:
    famousilluminatilord@gmail.com or illuminatifamousclub@outlook.com contact
    +2348065283683 you will be rich and
    famous for the rest of your life and your
    family and any body close to you,
    Illuminati make there member happy so i
    will want you all to also be a new member
    of the Illuminati if you are interested,
    urgently reply us back now, we are ready
    to make you a member of the Illuminati..what's app +2348065283683

    ReplyDelete

Add a Comment...